Heres a one of one from 2010, a Merc from Hot Wheels (well, ok they call it Purple Passion..lol) ..but…its definitely NOT “stock” nor is it picked fresh from the toy aisle pegs at your local WalMart!
No my friends this one was heavily modified altho seeing the finished product is deceiving. There is the most obvious mod of the rear “bumper” removal and rolled pan effect while leaving the fenders at same length..kinda like extended “fins” or something!
The inside is the big mod here, to get the lowered stance you see, while still being able to roll properly with the Johnny Lightning Chrome Baby Moon wheels and thin white wall tires, which are much taller than the original HW 5pk rollers. A lot of strategic removal of material in key areas of both the inner body and interior piece, plus leveling of the newly installed stainless steel sleeved axles…seriously…its a little tricky and time consuming!
Paint…..theres another animal entirely!
After all the body work and priming was completed, AutoAir Sealer Dark was applied and the topcoats then came along starting with a Black Pearl. Next I added masking to the sides lower rear and around the top fender body line. Then a mix of pearl Silver and Alclad Chrome was used to add the base for the candy red main color. On the sides however, I used a special SnakeSkin stencil to get that scaled look. Several coats of candy red were applied after remving the side maskings and allowed to dry, then the Candy Pagan Gold flames were added in multiple layer style over the nose, top, and sides.
Detailed Headlights, two color tail lights, grill black washed, and then automotive Urethane Clear was shot on and finally it was color sanded and hand polished for the final gloss look that rivals any real size show car!
This One of One piece is one of my favorites from the past..hope you enjoy.
Heres a quick look at a reeeeeally killer led sled Ive just put together (finally). Its a 100% 49 Merc with double candied fade and flames, plus some Majik Blue Pearl licks that were shot, and remasked with a slight offset making some licks appear to have a slight highlight or shadow (depending on available light). A base of candy gold, tangerine, red, violet, to blue candy fade was used for the roof and upper side flames, which were masked and a SECOND (altho light) candy fade was applied..giving it that ‘double’ candied look.
The body received a side window post removal as its only major change (and even thats subtle!). This one was a pain however due to the ‘real’ tail and head lights used in the original version. The headlights could not be removed without destroying them, but the tail lights were saved and reapplied after MUCH (and I DO mean ALOT!) aggrevation due to their size. I actually lost one and had to steal a replacement from another stock cast..but thats ok..when I do that one, it WONT be needing the stock lights! 👿
IF I had not been so happy with the way the paint had turned out..at one point, I woulda just forgot about using the tail lights and started over, filling in/remolding the rear lights area entirely. But..eventually..they made it. Im not totally happy with how far they protrude, but, this is it, and honestly..the paint more than makes up for that!
OH..the front lights are brass brads with the heads machined down to size for the lamps to fit with a slight ‘frenched in’ look.
Here is the official store item link where you will find larger pics and of course have an opportunity to adopt this piece.
>> KB STORE ARCHIVE <<
streaming film Mr. Peabody & Sherman